Holiday season is upon us and that means figuring out what to wear to all the fancy holiday parties. When I saw this photo of Peter Dundas, creative director at Emilio Pucci, at a recent event in NYC, I was reminded of the eternal quality of a well-made and good looking velvet blazer. It’s such a classic and distinguished look. And like most classic pieces, you can spend a lot but it’s not necessary. Sure, you can spend thousands for an incredible Givenchy or Saint Laurent velvet blazer but you can also find nice ones more reasonably priced – both Zara and Scotch & Soda currently have great options.
I’m a fan of the classic black velvet blazer because it’s timeless but if you’re a fancy dude who’s feeling a more adventurous, try a coloured one – dark jewel tones work best. Think midnight blue or dark purple. The key is to find one that fits well (slim fit for sure). A well-made velvet blazer also goes well paired with cool jeans and good looking white shirt. It’s just one of those wardrobe essentials that never goes out of style. Trust me, a well-fitting velvet blazer will make any dude feel like a fancy and dapper gent during the holiday season.
To maximize the velvet blazer look, here are a few tips:
- Generally they’re best worn with pants made of different material
- They usually look best when paired with a crisp white shirt but a good looking black shirt can look chic with black velvet blazer too – very Saint Laurent
- Bow ties are the perfect complement to velvet blazers
- Black patent shoes are the best option for footwear
- If you want to make it even dressier, wear a jeweled lapel pin for some extra fancy
Photo of Peter Dundas above via vogue.com